Hoop earrings are a stylish complement to any ensemble, day or night. They’re classic yet bolder than studs, drawing attention and adding a dash of personality. What’s more, hoop earrings accentuate facial features by highlighting the jaw and cheekbones.
For extra glamour, diamonds elevate hoop earrings to another level. Below, we explain what makes diamond hoop earrings a chic must-have for any jewelry collection. We also cover some of the most popular styles.
All About Diamond Hoops
Having originated in ancient Mesopotamia, hoop earrings are truly timeless. Bejeweled with diamonds, they make eye-catching statement pieces that project confidence.
But if you think diamond hoops are reserved only for special occasions, think again. Diamond hoop earrings go just as well with everyday casual looks as they do with more dressy attire. Because they tend to be simple and streamlined, they also coordinate well with other jewelry.
Even better, people of any age can wear diamond hoops. With designs at a range of carat sizes and price points, there’s a perfect pair of diamond hoop earrings for everyone.
How to Choose the Perfect Diamond Hoop Earrings
Perhaps the foremost factor to consider when shopping for diamond hoops is their size. Hoop earring designs vary widely in their measurements and are generally categorized according to their inner diameter:
- Small: 8mm to 13mm
- Medium: 14mm to 40mm
- Large: more than 40mm
Ultimately, the size you choose is a matter of personal preference.
Besides hoop size, it’s also important to consider the 4Cs of your hoops’ diamonds: color, clarity, cut, and carat weight. These distinct traits determine diamond quality and value. Without a strong understanding of the 4Cs, you risk ending up with substandard gems.
With a trusted jeweler like Kwiat, however, you don’t need to be a diamond expert. All Kwiat diamonds are cut to the world’s highest standards, exceeding even those of the Gemological Institute of America.
Types of Diamond Hoop Earrings
The Classic Simple Hoop
The quintessential diamond hoop earring features round prong-set diamonds along the inside and outside of the hoops. This classic style comes in a variety of diameters and features diamonds in a range of carat weights.
If you prefer smaller hoops that don’t dangle, huggies may be the earrings for you. This hoop style sits closely to your earlobe and generally uses a hinge closure rather than a detachable backing. Though smaller in diameter, huggies are often wider and chunkier than their airier hoop alternatives. Some designs even feature multiple rows of diamonds for more brilliant visibility.
Unique Diamond Shapes and Designs
For a fresh spin on the classic diamond hoops, consider choosing a pair with unconventional diamond shapes. Kwiat carries a wide selection, including earrings with marquise, Ashoka®, and oval diamonds, as well as mixed shapes.
Some designs go a step further with chic variations on the hoop’s circular structure. Take these Kwiat hoop earrings with elegant crossover strands — the perfect example of our masterful craftsmanship and creative engineering.
Hoop earrings also vary in the way their diamonds are set. While the standard prong setting lets maximum light enter, flush and bezel settings offer more security for your gems.
Another option is the delicate pavé setting. Because of their more subtle sparkle, pavé-set diamond hoops tend to pair well with everyday outfits, creating an aura of effortless elegance.
How Celebrities Wear Diamond Hoop Earrings
Diamond hoop earrings are a versatile fashion staple, as exemplified by the wide variety of celebrities wearing them in daily life as well as for special appearances. Below are some of the ways different celebs have sported diamond hoops.
- Hoop earrings are a signature part of Jennifer Lopez’s style. Almost always, the bigger the hoop, the better. While she often wears minimal metal ones, Lopez is also known to add sparkle with lavish diamonds, like in her glamorous 2017 Met Gala look.
- Lizzo rocked diamond hoop earrings when she hosted “SNL” in April 2022. Her dazzling hoops featured baguette diamonds set in 18-karat white gold.
- You can catch Selena Gomez wearing hoop earrings both onscreen and offscreen. In Hulu’s “Only Murders in the Building,” she often sticks to metal hoops, but offscreen, Gomez opts for bolder designs. She showcases brilliant diamond looks on the red carpet as well as on Instagram.
- Another celebrity with a penchant for diamond hoops: Drew Barrymore. In a recent appearance on “The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon,” she paired diamond hoops with a casual “Fallon” sweatshirt and jeans — a testament to the accessory’s versatility.
- To celebrate the premiere of her 2017 film Suburbicon, Julianne Moore wore a black and white dress with an exquisite pair of large diamond hoop earrings.
- Sarah Paulson seems to have a strong affinity for ornate diamond hoops. To name a few occasions, she wore large 20.5-carat diamond hoops at the 2017 SAG Awards, and another oversize pair at FX’s 2018 Annual All-Star Party.
Find Your Perfect Hoops
The design possibilities for diamond hoop earrings are seemingly endless. But no matter what size, metal, or diamond shape you prefer, there’s no doubt a style that suits your taste at Kwiat. Our master jewelers can even create a custom pair to your exact specifications. Simply set up a virtual viewing today for complimentary assistance.